I have not been single for a long time (12 years) but I recently read 2 articles from amy chan of just my type exploring the complexity of dating today. She wrote 2 really great comparison pieces on the difference in dating a boy versus a man and in dating a girl versus a woman. As I read, I thought about my single friends who are still looking for love but also compared a few of the concepts to my relationship with my husband. And to be fair, I must admit I can act like a ‘girl’ in some situations.
So… read some of the 11 differences below and decide for yourself where you fall.
1. A boy is passive, a man is assertive.
3. A man looks for a woman with intelligence and shares a set of values. A boy cares mostly for girls who are hot.
5. A man has the courage to have uncomfortable conversations. A boy avoids.
6. A man knows when to invest in a woman and jumps in with two feet. A boy is always ‘testing’ but doesn’t fully commit because he knows he is not ready.
9. A man has integrity. A boy makes promises but doesn’t follow through.
11. A boy plays games. A man doesn’t.
2. A girl perceives herself as a princess and believes people should treat her like so. A woman has standards, not expectations.
3. A girl uses her physical beauty as her currency. A woman bases her value on her intelligence, strength and values.
5. A girl competes and tears down others to secure her place. A woman knows there is plenty to go around and helps other women.
7. A girl wants attention, a woman wants respect.
8. A girl does not respect her body or who she shares it with. A woman cherishes her sense of self and her health.
11. A girl plays games. A woman doesn’t.