I typically relate holidays to signature drinks with seasonal ingredients. There is always a celebration taking place which of course means, drinking, eating + tons of festivities.
Cinco de mayo is all about the limes for a pitcher of fresh margaritas. New years is synonymous with celebratory fêtes. Pop a bottle of champagne for kir royales or bellinis. So of course, halloween is all about a cocktail that feels cozy + warm.
Last year I shared my recipe for a seasonal spiced rum cider for a spooky halloween party. The flavors evoke warmth + spice with just enough bite from the rum. It was too good not to share so, I’ve brought it back to the blog today.
This seasonal cocktail blends the essential flavors of fall with bacardi gold. However, easily swapping the rum for a favorite whiskey or bourbon would work well too. To infuse the apple cider with tons of depth, you simmer star anise, cinnamon, nutmeg + clove on the stove. This cocktail is sure to impress + evoke the essence of fall with every sip.
Recipe: Seasonal Spiced Rum Cider
SPICED APPLE CIDER:
- 4 c apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 star anise pods
- 6 allspice berries
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 cracked nutmeg
- 1 ½ oz bacardi gold rum
- 1/2 c apple cider
- cinnamon sticks (garnish)
- sliced lemon (garnish)
- sliced apple
- 1/2 oz float of hard cider, optional
- Over medium-low heat, warm your spices in a pot or dutch oven until aromatic (3-4 minutes)
- Shake spices back and forth so they do not burn
- Add in cider and simmer for 10 minutes
- Pour cider into a pitcher and cool in the fridge for 1 hour
- Fill a rocks glass with ice
- Pour in rum and the spiked cider, stir well
- Garnish with lemon wheel, cinnamon stick and apple slice
- If adding hard cider, pour in ½ oz