A simple but delicious homemade spaghetti sauce that takes less than 30 minutes + will blow any canned version out of the water!
I grew up cooking with my dad in the kitchen. We learned so many techniques + methods together, all while honing our passion for food in the process. My dad became inspired by chef nick stellino + cooked nearly every recipe in his books. Chef stellino’s spaghetti sauce recipe became a staple in our home. It was a recipe we made so often that, to this day, still holds a special place in my heart.
Over the years I have taken inspiration from that sauce recipe to create my own version, packed with flavor but not the labor. My go-to spaghetti sauce is so simple + easy to prepare; perfect for week night dinners. Yet, I have also served my spaghetti for a crowd + it never disappoints. The tomato-based sauce is flavored with sautéed onions + garlic, lots of fresh basil and a few shakes of red pepper flakes + dried oregano. To make it a bit hearty, I mix in both, ground pork + ground beef but it is still crazy delicious sans-meat. Some nights, I toss in some chopped veggies, fresh herbs or swap out the meat for grilled shrimp. A great base recipe like this is perfect to build upon if you are feeling inspired.
My husband says my spaghetti with homemade sauce is his favorite dish and it’s also a guaranteed hit with cohen. So, it’s no surprise that it’s in constant rotation on our dinner table; just like my favorite spaghetti recipe from nick stellino was, during my childhood.
My Simple (but super delicious)
Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 of a small yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb ground pork or ground beef (or 1/4 lb of each)
- 1 package of fresh basil, torn into small pieces (approx 10 leaves)
- 2 cans of tomato sauce (san marzano preferred)
- a few glugs of good olive oil
- 1/2 ts dried oregano
- 1/4 ts red pepper flakes
- salt + pepper to taste
- warm a large sauce pan over med-high heat with olive oil
- add in onions and saute until translucent, approx. 8-10 minutes
- season onions with oregano, pepper flakes and s+p to taste
- add in pork/beef + garlic, cook meat all the way through
- pour in tomato sauce + add torn basil
- turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes
- adjust with s+p
- enjoy on top of your favorite noodles!