I came across this list of 11 simple things that everyone needs to be happy and thought I would share it with all of you. Not only is the writer, chelsea fagan witty as hell, her list reigns pretty true in my book. Below are a few off of the list that really struck me but please check out the full list too.
(these people just look happy to me / via)
1. Comfort food. I put this one first for a reason, and that reason is that comfort food is one of the most basic components of being a happy, well-adjusted human. There is no meeting so soul-suckingly boring that a little pizza won’t make you go out of your way to attend it. There is no emotional wound that cannot be at least temporarily patched up with some hot, crispy chicken nuggets and fries with ranch and honey mustard dipping sauces. There is no amount of critical red-state voting that isn’t eased by a southern breakfast of biscuits, gravy, grits, and sweet tea. Comfort food has leveled up as high as possible in the Healer Class, and we should respect it.
5. Alone time. All of the thrilling social activities in the world mean absolutely nothing if you can’t punctuate them with some nice time to just unwind, watch your weird-ass “me time” videos on YouTube, and be a total slob in your underwear.
6. Someone who remembers with you. You need at least one person to discuss your memories, your experiences, and the person you used to be with. If you don’t have anyone who also remembers certain periods in your life, it can start to feel as though they never happened at all (or that they don’t count). But when you start wandering down memory lane hand-in-hand with someone, it is the emotional equivalent of someone bringing out a surprise ice cream cake and two enormous spoons. You get to just feel all the warm fuzzies, and make each other remember stuff, and giggle over inside jokes. It’s the best.
9. Purchases that are just for you. Come on, you need to get something for yourself every now and again. If you don’t occasionally treat yourself to a bag of bulk candy, or a new Forever 21 dress that appears to be made out of Saran Wrap and recycled cardboard, or a movie for one in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, what is life about?
11. At least one person who just . Whether it’s the friend who doesn’t need any social issues explained to them (and who will never make horribly oppressive jokes because they don’t believe in being “PC”), or the person who is just as obsessed with that one book/show/movie/band as you are and does not matter one bit if you want to talk about it for an entire five-hour hangout session, we all need the person who “gets it.” You don’t need a group of them, you just need the one, and your sanity will be intact. Without them, you will begin to slowly question whether or not your entire reality is a figment of your imagination. Your happiness is always reinforced by their existence.